Huber Heights has a great motto: “come grow with us.” Our community’s thriving economy and world-class educational system offers all its residents the chance for self-improvement. Sometimes, though, issues such as white-spotted teeth can cause appearance issues or even affect your overall health. Teeth whitening in Huber Heights offers a safe, effective solution in many such cases.
What Creates White Spots on Teeth?
Only a dentist can diagnose the exact reason for tooth spots. However, some of the more common causes include the following:
- Tobacco use. Not only will tar and nicotine stain your teeth, they can wear away the protective enamel coating.
- Consumption of sodas, tea, or coffee. The dyes in these products can enter the pores of your teeth, creating discoloration.
- Mouth or jaw trauma. Injuries to your teeth can affect their color and appearance.
- Over-fluoridation. While fluoride is good for your teeth in small amounts, in larger concentrations it can cause spotting.
- Time. As we age, the enamel on our teeth wears thin, which can lead to many types of cosmetic issues.
In most cases, tooth brightening under a dentist’s supervision can improve or even resolve these problems.
At-Home and in-Office Teeth Whitening Options
Professional teeth cleaning options generally fall into two broad classes:
- In-office treatments performed by a dentist or dental hygienist.
- At-home treatments using products available by prescription.
If you choose the at-home option, then your dentist will design a customized tray to fit your teeth, which will hold the bleaching solution. Patients normally see results anywhere from a few days to a few weeks later. This is a good option for those who prefer their home surroundings to the dentist’s office.
If you choose the in-office option, then either your dentist or a trained assistant will perform the procedure for you. This choice is good for people who have the time required for the clinic visits and want the supervision of a skilled specialist during the process.
What about Those Over-The-Counter Whitening Kits?
DIY kits are available online or at local retailers. Usually, however, you’ll enjoy better results by working with your dentist. Here’s why:
- Mass-produced cleaning trays may provide a poor fit for your mouth. Not only can this cause discomfort, it could even be a safety hazard.
- The solution used in non-prescription kits is much weaker than the products your dentist can provide. As such, they offer only minimal benefits.
- Sometimes, discolored teeth are a symptom of a more serious problem. For this reason, it’s always a good idea to have a healthcare expert perform a full dental examination.
Remember, only a professional can diagnose the causes of white-spotted teeth. So make an appointment with a dentist in Huber Heights today and get ready for a happier, more confident tomorrow.
About the Author
Dayton native Dr. James A. Striebel has been practicing dentistry for more than 20 years. His practice offers a convenient Whitening for Life program. You can find out more by visiting his website or by calling (937) 235-2400.